Thursday, July 9, 2009

Episode-7: Sisko's Fate


Alice stood arm in arm with Sisko in the emergency room. She watched with amusement as the people in the waiting room watched them. Her mother was white as a sheet with a bloody pillow case tied around her right calf and screaming that her own daughter had tried to kill her. Her father calmly ignored her and spoke to the woman at the admitting desk, leaning on the tall counter with one elbow while thumbing through his wallet for the proper insurance info. Then there was Sisko, with ‘Patricia’ carved sloppily up her leg while the blood ran down it and scowling at everyone as she clung to Alice. No doubt they wondered which daughter had tried to kill the alarmed woman and what such a person might do next if not restrained.

She could only hear snippets of what her father was saying to the admitting nurse: “not pressing charges”, “sort of an accident”, “can you keep my wife in psych for observation”.

Sisko and Patricia were helped into wheelchairs and ushered quickly to separate, but adjoining exam tables. A sheet hung between them for privacy. For the sake of ferreting out the truth in this mess, the same ER doctor would attend both women. Alice listened to the doctor talk to her mother.

“Ms. Kipp, I’m Dr. Geden, can you tell me what happened?” he was curt, perfect for dealing with a hysterical person of any sort. Alice appreciated the clinical efficiency and firm tone and absently rubbed Sisko’s arm to comfort her as they both sat on the exam table. Her mother’s account involved Sisko chasing her, wild-eyed, around the house wielding a ‘gleaming instrument of death’. Even Sisko chuckled at that one.

“Ms. Kipp, if you can tell me what happened, without the theatrics, it would be very helpful. In the meantime, I gather you have a cut on your right calf. Mind if I have a look?”

“A cut? I have a stab wound, Doctor.” Alice heard rustling and her mother whining and groaning.

“That is pretty deep. Well, we’re going to have to stitch you up. Mandy, go ahead and stitch her up will you?”

“Oh, no, I won’t be stitched up by some nurse.” They heard rustling.

“Ms. Kipp, you cannot shove my staff.”

“I will not be touched by a nurse. I was almost killed. I require a doctor’s touch.”

“You we’re not almost killed. And the nurse will stitch you up.” Alice could only imagine the faces of her mother and father right now. Her father would likely be sporting his detached, I’m really just the chauffer, face. Her mother had this sneer with eye-brows raised, upper lip puckered, and jaw clenched that Alice was sure she was displaying. But there was no more commotion from the other side of the curtain and the doctor appeared smiling in front of Alice and Sisko.

“So, I’m Dr. Geden, who wants to tell me what’s going on here?”

“My mother kicked me out of the house.”

“So you stabbed her?”

“No, Sir, I stabbed her because she’s unpleasant.”

“I understand that. Can I look at your leg?”

“It’s not deep enough for stitches.”

“No, it isn’t. Sisko, are you getting help for this?”

“I’m moving in with my sister.” Alice, smiled and raised her hand in a little wave. She was surprised by the sudden flutter in her stomach. He had really nice eyes.

“You’re her…”

“Sister, Alice. I mean I’m her sister, Alice. I’m not Sister Alice, sorry.”

“May as well be a nun,” Sisko muttered.

“Please excuse my sister, she’s not of sound mind.”

“That I can see,” said Dr. Geden swabbing Sisko’s leg with alcohol, “Sisko, cutting is a very serious problem. I’d like to admit you into psych for twenty-four hours for observation. Is that ok with you?”

“No.”

“Sisko, I want to help you. I want to make your pain go away.”

“Look, you seem really nice, but if you really want to help me, date my sister and get my mother off my back.” Sisko smiled. Alice rolled her eyes.

“Sisko, please do as the doctor asks. I’ll be with you, I can get someone to take my classes for the next couple of days. While you’re in here resting, Dad and I will move your stuff into my house and we’ll change the locks so Mom can’t get in. No worries, kido Sisko.” Alice smoothed her sister’s hair and touched her cheek. Tears welled up in Sisko’s eyes.

“I hate change.”

“Please, Sis.”

“Tell you what? Go to psych tonight, and I’ll visit you up there as often as I can.” Dr. Geden blushed a little as his gaze flitted to Alice. So much for clinical efficiency, she thought.

“Fine.” Sisko nodded, “I’ll go.” Dr. Gedes nodded and smiled and crossed to the other side of the curtain. Sisko turned to Alice, who took her in her arms and held her tightly while she cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment